Re: [Harp-L] Brass vs Stainless Steel

Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "lil Buddha" <ltlbuddha@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Brass vs Stainless Steel

I am not a metallurgist, but from what I have read here is how it works;
many metals exhibit the effects of cumulative stress, but steel does not.
Meaning that brass and bronze WILL eventually fail with repeated load no
matter how small the load. Steel, theoretically at least, will never fail if

What am I missing?

Only the technical terms that would make your explanation less meaningful to most readers.
"Cumulative stress" = metal fatigue, the gradual propagation of tiny cracks that eventually lead to failure.
"Particular level" = fatigue limit.

Even in copper-alloy (brass and bronze), fatigue is non-linear; i.e. if you reduce the stress level by 10%, you get more than a 10% increase in the number of cycles to failure.

As you point out, the properties of SS do support the expectation of much longer fatigue life. Knowing harp players, I predict that more robust reeds will result in more stressful playing. You can't win. ;o)

Vern

Of course, the key to reed longevity whatever the material is do not use
excessive force.