Re: [Harp-L] Practicing Harmonica without a Harmonica

But does anyone here have real, complete practice sessions without binging
their instrument to lips?

I have to bet that my experience is not uncommon:

After a practice session, with a real harp in my mouth I continue to hear new ideas for hours.

This also works for me when I'm composing music on guitar. I rarely "hear" ideas in my head if I haven't been composing for at least an hour, but then after that I get ideas all day and have to dictate them, guitar positions and all, into my notation device. Many of my best rhythmic ideas come while I'm driving, after a composition session. I try to remember to keep my notation device handy.

Here's the worst of it: on days when I don't practice, compose, write - I very nearly forget that I play harp and guitar and compose and write, that that's what I do. Or rather, until I do those things I am "the guy that doesn't do these things." After I do these things I do them all day, without effort and without proximity to my instruments.

If I have revealed too much about myself, just skip back to the second paragraph above and stop reading there.