Re: [Harp-L] Blues Notes & Microtonality

This is a bit conjectural as I haven't had time to explore it as fully
I would it as I would like - others may have done though, so any thoughts
would be welcome.

If anyone has seen the excellent documentary that Martin Scorscese produced
on the history of the blues, that was presented by Corey Harris, they may
have noticed the statement that the great Malian musician Ali Farka Toure
made when he talked about his reaction when he first heard John Lee Hooker.
He said it was like 'our (Malian) music' but different.

As I understand it, the origin of many of the people who went on to form the
slave populations of the southern US and the Carribbean was often from those
parts of West Africa (Mali, parts of Nigeria, Niger, Ghana, Senegal
etc) which underwent a process of conquest by Arab armies from the north, in
the 9th and 10th centuries.  This conquest was followed by the spread of
Islamic culture and learning etc.  So presumably the musical traditions of
Sufism, complete with the quarter tone, which is of course a major feature
of arabic music, would have fused with the earlier musical traditions of
that part of africa to form the music, which transported to the 'New World'
went on to form the blues.

This connection's fascinating, I reckon, there's also a great phd thesis in
this for someone too, or it may already be one - I hope so!

This site http://www.maqamworld.com/ has some examples of scales and sound
samples of the use of quarter tones in arabic music which some may find
useful.

As for the use of the harp in West African Desert Blues, the only person I
know of who has explored this, is the French harp player Vincent Bucher, who
plays on an album called Kongo Magni with the Malian guitarist, Boubacar
Traore and IMHO very, very nice it is too!

Bill