[Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan as Harmonica Player

If anyone is interested in learning more about Dylan's harp playing, here are some great samples from YouTube (some are videos, some just pictures with music). If you think all he can do is blow and draw sloppy chords, please listen to a few of these. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what he can do. These are some of the songs that inspired me to start playing harmonica six years ago:

Gospel Plow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9l3VpV82g

Silver Dagger (he is playing sideman for Joan Baez)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDXtxSVSEmk

It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4cl50kBsA

I Shall Be Released
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCiHBmj-0Pk

Every Grain of Sand (long, very melodic harp solo starts at 2:48)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EOGef0xtTo

Mr. Tambourine Man (the clip from I'm Not There and Eat the Document)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nHsmIN2tQ

Many of these were on a Dylan harp mix that I gave to Jason Ricci a few years ago. I think he was fairly convinced. Not all of it may be your cup of tea, but I think these songs prove his technical proficiency and diverse set of playing styles. As a bonus for Harp-L, some of these are also great blues songs.

Jonathan Metts
Boulder, CO