Re: [Harp-L] Bagpipe Harp

Hello Michael,
thank you very much for your quick answer to my request. I could not resist and retuned a Hering Blues Harp in G to your tuning. Having the drones ist really great, the minor chord has a special charme, and trying to play irish tunes with the flattened 7th is fun, and I think I´ll retune another one and leave the major 7ths as they are so that I can play irish tunes as I am used to it, but with drones. Having both tunings will be great.
Regards,
Dirk

michael rubin schrieb:
Dirk writes:

I have a question concerning the layout, what is the idea of tuning down the
B to Bb in the C Version? Tuning the blow and draw reeds to both C and G is
a great idea for imitating the drones, and a Cmajor Scale would seem logical
to me, but if you change B to Bb you get a F major or C 7 scale. Is this
closer to bagpipes, or is it because of the Gm chord?
Regards,
Dirk

Dirk,
It will allow you to play in G minor, specifically the G dorian scale.
 But what it really does is bring a mixolydian feel to C major,
slightly bluesifying the sound.

Playing in F major would place the drone on the 5th, which would sound
pretty good, and the 2nd which I would have to play around with before
I said if I liked it or not. Great idea!
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com