Re: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan Signature Harmonica Gripe

On Sep 9, 2008, at 1:01 AM, John Brockus wrote:

About Steve Martin, just to cloud the issue:

He does have a Grammy award for a recording playing banjo...

"Best Country Instrumental Performance"

Of course, he was backing up Earl Scruggs...

Early in his career, Steve brought out the banjo as part of his schtick, but lately, he has only played it seriously. As for being famous as a prerequisite
to getting something named after you, I can name 10 'nose stretchers', 15 'buglers', and 10 'liquorice stick' suckers, NONE of whom have a trombone, trumpet or clarinet named after them. Believe it or not, 1 is Woody Allen. THAT's getting pretty famous. The whole signature thing is just plain silly.

The problem with naming something after someone is that it is subjective. I call everyone's attention to the old 'Playboy Jazz Poll' which placed Miles Davis at #UNO trumpet for years and years. In actuality, according to the 'Trumpet players list', he ranks somewhere around 8th or 9th. Les Paul is a marvelous player but he's not the best. I don't think he's the most famous either.

If 'I' were to put out a 'signature' guitar, it would be 'Los Indios Tabaljares'. Signature vibes would be Cal Tjader. Signature trumpet..Harry James. Signature chromatic..Hendrik Meurkens. Signature diatonic..Howard Levy. See what I mean? It's all subjective.

smo-joe