[Harp-L] Harp-L is GREAT! Long Live "Prophet!"

I confess: I LOVE Harp-L! I've learned so many things from all of you
in the (relatively) short time that I've been playing harmonica. Even
the animated (heated?) discussions provide insights and food for
thought (sometimes unintended, I'm sure). Here's an example.

> From: IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan Signature Harmonica Gripe
> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> We are but a small group of passionate harmonica lovers - this list has
> what, maybe 1000 subscribers?
>
> Sometimes it feels like we are a mighty group - however, do the numbers.
> We are not even a drop in the bucket of humanity - less than 1% of 1%
> of the buying  market. Why shouldn't a company try a strategy to reach a
> larger percentage of  the market? If a company doesn't take the turn a prophet
> philosophy, it will  eventually disappear. Why bash Hohner or Dylan because
> of an honest capitalistic  outlook or because he doesn't play harmonica as
> well as we like?
>
> The Iceman

I really "get" the Iceman's posts, including this one. Perhaps the choice of one
word was unintended. [Damn those lousy Microsoft spellcheckers! Why do they
never catch homonyms?!?] The word under discussion is "prophet."

>From the context, I know the Iceman intended to use "profit." But then I got to
thinking about the phrase "turn a prophet" and realized that it was also applicable
to the discussion of Dylan. I'm 60 years old, and back in the days of my youth,
Dylan was indeed a sort of Beat "prophet." He went his own way, did his own
thing his way, and was still a financial success in the marketplace. It's hard to
argue with commercial success (if that is the goal).

Why shouldn't Hohner (or any other company) "turn a prophet" into profit? That's
the whole motivation behind celebrity endorsements. This kind of thing is all about
name recognition and brand association. If it helps sell harmonicas, I'm all for it.

And NO, I'm NOT "crazy" about either Bob Dylan's singing voice or harmonica
playing, but he sure can "tell a story" with his songwriting combined with his
playing (at least, when he is not mumbling and slurring every word). It's the
overall package that counts IMHO, N-O-T whether he is the most skilled harmonica
player to ever put one in his mouth.

To me, it's similar to how I feel about Willie Nelson. (I love Mickey Raphael's
harmonica playing.) I love Willie's lyrics and guitar playing and phrasing, but his
nasal twangy voice doesn't do a lot for me. Yet the overall sound of Willie Nelson
and Family is GREAT-to ME!

In all sincerity, I appreciate the stimulation to think about this subject from more
than one angle, even if it was unintended. On the other hand, if it WAS intentional,
I am in AWE of Larry's way with words, as well as his playing and teaching abilities.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Crazy Bob