[Harp-L] Advice for a rookie - sort of

Hello,

As a recent subscriber to harp-l, I am amazed at the frequency and content
being posted.

I have been playing the harmonica since 1972 and without boring you with
details consider myself to be a decent player.  Historically, I have always
played for my own pleasure, never doing much with other musicians.  I would
hear something on the radio and learn to duplicate the sounds I heard and so
build my repertoire.  I had never bothered to research the information about
how to properly cross harp.  I never knew which key went with a given song
and I had never heard of 2nd position (although I guess cross harp is
another name for 2nd position).  Recently, however, I was at a party with
some friends and a couple of the guys pulled out their guitars and started
jamming and they happened to have a couple of harps so I joined in and had a
blast.  I did not enjoy being confused about which harp to play and how to
blend in with the guitars, so I started doing some research.  I shouldn't
have been surprised because I spend a fair amount of time on the internet,
but I am amazed at (and grateful for) the resources I have found.   As a
result, my passion for the harp has taken on a new level and I have been
busy feeding my addiction.  I have invested in a whole new set of harps,
some good books and instructional CD's, some great blues music and a
harmonic mike.  It is obvious that I need to get up to speed on music
theory.  I have contacted some local harp clubs looking for some guidance
and camaraderie.  I'm on my way to harmonica heaven!

So here's my question.  I see all this discussion about amps and of course,
being a novice, it's all Greek to me.  How is an amp that is designed for a
harmonica different from other amps?  As I mentioned, I have purchased a
mike (a green bullet) and am now in the market for an amp.  Being a bargain
hunter, I like to haunt the pawn shops in my area and have found many a
great deal whether you are talking about hand tools, fishing equipment, golf
clubs - whatever.  And in case you don't already know it, apparently there
are a lot of down and out musicians who have had to pawn their guitars,
drums, amps, mikes, etc. so the pawn shops are just loaded with (seemingly)
good stuff at below market prices.  So if someone can reach out to me and
perhaps provide some guidance as to what to look for and what to stay away
from, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom H.

Clearwater, FL