[Harp-L] SM57 handling noise solution

A helpful Harp-Ler emailed me off-list and pointed me to this FAQ on on the
Shure Website:

http://shure.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shure.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1560&p_sid=JjRSDNdj&p_lva=1825&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTI5LDEyOSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zbTU3&p_li
=

"Question:  I have read another post on the same problem with the loose
grill on the 57 causing noise- in my case, it is very audible when I use the
57's attached with a drum mic clamp- the drummer's strikes cause the drum to
vibrate, and in turn, the mic, but if it were not for the grille being
loose, there would be no problem. I don't really want to go through the
hassle and cost of sending all of my mics in, so I am hoping that there is a
way to "fix" the grille to the mic base with duct tape, or by padding the
inside so that it can no longer rotate. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Answer:  You will need a toothpick and Duco Cement (available from a
hardware store). Locate the black metal screen that is 1.25" below the *SM57
* grill. This screen is right below the band that says "Shure" and "*SM57*".
In a strong light, look carefully through the screen. You will see four
bright areas that are just below the screen. Each of these areas is 90
degrees apart from the next area. These four areas are the glue targets.

Stand the microphone upside down on its grill. Put a small dab of cement
(the size of a pin head) on the toothpick. Place the cement on the first
area. Let the cement flow downward and get between the black screen and the
rotating plastic grill. Repeat for the remaining three areas. Let the cement
dry thoroughly.

This technique should stop the rattling. Use the cement sparingly.

Never cover up this black screen with duct tape as this will destroy the *
SM57* directionality.".