[Harp-L] questions about high keyed harps

Hi folks,

I have some questions about harps in the key of D through F.  Much if my
playing (electric blues, west coast and Chicago) is in the lower keys from
low F to C.  Lately I've been doing songs that call for higher keys harps.
In one song I do, in the key of A, I solo in 3rd position (G) and then
switch to 2nd (D).  I'm also doing a couple of songs in B-flat in 2nd
position (E-flat).

So the problem I'm having is that these harps are just way tighter than my
lower keys.  I know, of course, that my technique has to change with respect
to pressure, breath control, and the aggressiveness of my bending and it
has.  Still, those D and E-flat harps are TIGHT and I'm also choking out
some notes as soon as I land on them and I'm a tongue-blocker and never have
problems with choking out reeds.  I'm wishing they were looser or something;
I can't quite find the right word here.  And the upper register is
especially challenging thought the blow bend are doable.

 I'm playing Special 20s.  I have some Seydel 1847s in the lower keys but
most of my kit is still the SP20s.  Has anybody tried several out of box
brands and found a particular brand the works better in the upper keys?  Or
is it really just a matter of my getting used to these keys in term of
technique?  Do I need to go the customized route for the higher keys?

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh