Re: [Harp-L] Inexpensive harp for teaching

Hi Jay,

I always start my explanations for the beginners, that unlike some other fields of study and practice, the cheapst option is not the best one in case of the harmonica playing.

But when you say you used to recommend the Big Rivers, then the task is easier to go even further. So, you can try the relatively new model from Suzuki - Harpmaster - and in my case it worked extremely good for many beginners.
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/SUMR200.html

As I remember its price was around 17 US dollars some year ago, but now it went up to 25 (at C2C with no club membership). Though it might not be the most optimal choice in terms of the price, I'd still recommend this harp for the beginners who'd potentially continue their endevours - especially in the key of A.

BTW, I opt to recommend and teach in the key of A first and add two additional keys afterwards (C and D), of course given you have some playalong material for that key. Otherwise, C harp will do the job very well - and BTW it will last much longer than SP20.

Best,

Alex

>>> "Jay Thompson" <jay.jmt@xxxxxxxxx> 15/09/2008 17:03:45 >>>
I've been asked to teach a beginnig harmonica class to a group of music
therapists. This will be a one shot class...probably a couple of hours. I'm
going to need to furnish harps which the students will buy. I want to
furnish this with harps that would be worthy of their efforts if they decide
to continue working on the harp after the conference. The last time I did
this Big Rivers were the obvious choice. Since the harp market has changed
so much I'm wondering if there is now a better choice. I'd appreciate your
thoughts and experience.
Thanks,
Jay
--