Re: [Harp-L] Comb material

On Sep 16, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Tom Halchak wrote:

On the subject of comb material - I am curious about the pros and cons of
making combs out of different types of wood. We all know that the wood
combs on Marine Bands swell up when they get wet and become uncomfortable to
play, so we migrate to the plastic combs of the Special 20's or the Golden
Melodies. But what about other types of wood like oak or mahogany or ebony
or maple or elm or others? Has anybody ever experimented with using these
or other types of wood?

Sure. Most wood is fine as long as you seal it with a mixture of 50% Vicks Vapo Rub and 50% mineral oil (melted in a double boiler).

I know that Seydel has a harmonica the appears to
be made entirely of wood, but I haven't pulled the trigger and purchased
one. I have also looked at the brass combs made by Chris Reynolds at
builderofstuff.com. His workmanship is impressive but still I wonder about
a more economical option.

I have a custom-48 that has a porous bronze comb. It looks like brass and was cut from a sector of armature bearing kicked out of the mud at the abandoned Westinghouse factory in Pittsburgh. It was milled by the late Leo Friedman (Harmonica Rascals) and I stuck used hardbopper plates on it. It was economical. lol

I have a friend that owns a woodworking shop with
some very high end computerized (we are talking $200,000 pieces of
equipment) milling equipment. I've seen these things in action and they are
amazing - totally computerized, very precise. He also happens to be a harp
player and an inventor who hold a few patents. I'm sure I could get him to
make some combs for me. If anybody has some suggestions or comments I'd
like to hear them.

Then you are in an enviable position.

If I can identify an ideal material and can get this set up

Things to consider (since the machinery is only WOODworking machinery and not METAL working machinery.
1..... Linen Micarta (MY personal favorite)
2..... Living Nylon (used for cutting boards)
3..... Sirocco (a type of plastic/celulose similar to bakelyte but not as brittle)

I would probably be willing to send some combs out to those of you who
are interested so you can have an opportunity to try them. No promises, but
I am thinking that once the computer program is set up the cost of material
won't be much - it's a little piece of wood! If I can make it happen, and
it doesn't cost me too much I would be happy to send out some samples for
field testing. I would love to hear from you.

One of the things that irks me is when harmonicas go up in price and one of the reasons used is the cost of METALS. How ridiculous. Even if a comb was made of solid SILVER, the price hikes can't be justified. There is only ONE way to justify hikes...and that's LABOR and shipping. And (right now) only Germany & Japan have high labor costs.

smo-joe

Tom H

Clearwater, FL

Database version: 5.10710e