Re: [Harp-L] Some videos back up, new Gwen Foster vid up

Hi Richard;
                  I've been a Foster devotee since I discovered him in the mid/late 'seventies. I've got most of what he recorded, can do most of his techniques (but not as well!) and have read what little there is to read on him.
                 There was an article on him in 'Bluegrass Unlimited' some years back with a technical summary by Joe Filisko, who can play his pieces very closely indeed.
                 All references to Gwen, both by historians and contemporaries refer to his playing in a rack.
                 His 'tour de force' 'Black Pine Waltz' is a solo recording, and it is a solo effort, according to written info. relating to the recording date. It features guitar and harp.
                 I can send you an mp3 of this offlist if you like.
RD

>>> Richard Hammersley <rhhammersley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 18/09/2008 4:50 >>>
Hi David
Thanks for introducing me to Gwen Foster. How do you know he is
playing in a neck rack? It doesn't sound like he is and photos can be
atypical.
Richard
On 15 Sep 2008, at 22:45, David Payne wrote:

> Got some of those videos back up on Youtube that got deleted.
>
> First a new one, anyboy who has not heard Gwen Foster, needs to
> check this out... the guy absolutely ruled. Anybody says you can't
> play on a neck rack ain't heard Foster.
> Gwen Foster, harmonica genius
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgBZHlgAaBc
>
> Rupert Oysler Harmonica repair video sneak peak (the second half of
> this will replace my lost gapping video)
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDDvzlthNA
>
> Rupert Oysler "stranger on the Shore"
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rwqrOdGUb4
>
> How Handmade Harmonicas are made at the Seydel factory
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8XGYKwx1jk
>
> Jason Ricci and Dave Payne on awesomest harmonicas of all time
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYmE7Q-6j8

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley