Re: [Harp-L] More info about combs

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Philharpn@xxxxxxx
  To: jevern@xxxxxxx ; jofjltn4@xxxxxxxxxxx ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:12 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] More info about combs

  Has anyone got a thumbnail summary of both tests? I recall the SPAH discussion -- but not how the tests were conducted.

  Did the same player play several different harps and ask the audience to identify which was which?
  Yes,  there were four comparisons A - D

  The harps were all Big River in C.  There were combs of doussie, balsa wood, titanium, clear acrylic, black plastic, aluminum, closed-cell foamed plastic, open celled foamed plastic, lead, and concrete.

  The listeners were given forms on which to mark their identifications.
  Walden wore a hat with a bandana attached to the brim that obscured the harp from the listeners and from him while he was bringing it to his mouth.
  He played the opening measures of "Summertime".
  With my back to the listeners, I chose the harps and handed them to John, covering them with my hands.

  Comparison A was John playing 8 times from a set of 4 harps.
  Comparison B was John playing 8 times from another set of 4 harps.
  Comparison C was a machine playing a single note 6 times from another set of 4 harps.
  Comparison D was John playing 6 times from two CX12s; one with a black plastic cover and one with a solid brass cover.

  The combined scores of the group were no better than would be expected from random guessing.  Although there was expected variation, no one score stood out  to indicate exceptional listener accuity. We re-scored the results so that if the accurate identification of the materials was eliminated.   In successive plays, if the listener identified the same material or different materials correctly, it was counted as a correct answer.   The combined scores were still no better than random guessing.

  And what were the shortcomings in the SPAH test

  The criticisms were:
  The room ws not perfectly quiet.  The door was closed but there was some noise from the hallway.
  We should have used different materials in the same harp instead of different harps.
  Four materials in a group were too many to remember.
  The debate that started the seminar lasted too long leaving insufficient time for the comparisons.  (We had planned for John to play 12 times from each group of 4 harps)

  ....... that were corrected in the Buckeye test?

  A quick-change harp was used that allowed the combs to be changed within the same covers and reedplates.  .
  More time was allowed.
  There were many fewer materials..only two, I think.

  Was the player tested? Blindfolded and asked to play a "supported" harp -- in a rack or on a stand so the heft/or lack of it and the shape would not give away the materials?

  John was not allowed to examine the harps but he must have known when he played the one with the lead comb.  We trusted John to do an honest and unbiased job.  I believe that he did.

  This materials issue could be an issue only perceived by the player, who then reacts to this "perceived" difference by playing harder, softer, lighter etc.

  The machine- played harps certainly did not have player bias or compensation. That is why a set of machine-played harps was included.

  The audience may not notice the difference between two keyboards made by the same company but the player would notice the feel if one keyboard had weighted keys (to feel like a piano) and the other unweighted keys (like an organ) and adjust the playing style to compensate.

  That is why you need a machine to play the instrument, to eliminate the human variables.
  The extraneous variables may not have been perfectly controlled.  However they were orders of magnitude better controlled than just playing a harp in an amplified performance with accompaniment.  The criticisms arose after the seminar was over and after the results were announced.

  Other than the fact that my metal combs are heavy and tight, the pastic ones are tight and the wooden combs seem a little less tight (leaky?) -- all my harps sound about the same (I think).

  I think you are right.  The difference is leakage, not materials.
  Vern