Re: [Harp-L] Re: Combs

Mark Lavoie writes:

Steve,
It goes to show, that harmonica player's who have mastered the instrument, can tell the difference, when harmonica's from different comb materials are played.

I don't think that you can actually draw this conclusion from Steve's anecdotal account. Steve's perception of differences and his expressed preference do not a difference make. If there is indeed a difference attributing it to the comb material isn't necessarily the correct conclusion. Vern's prize seems quite safe in that no one is willing to ante up and take the test. To say that only the player can discern the difference in comb material and that it is so nuanced as to be undetectable to a beginning or even intermediate player is not evidence that supports the claim. Neither is the red herring of an argument that advanced violin players can appreciate a Stradivarius. There is scientific evidence to support the claim that materials in a violin body do contribute to the production of the sound.

My thoughts on this matter have been altered 180 degrees by Vern's reiterative and convincing presentation of the known facts of the situation. It is not that I declare that comb material doesn't play a role it is that I am uncertain that it does and unless someone can actually prove that it does I remain sceptical. Not that I don't have a comb preference, I do. fjm