Re: [Harp-L] Cm7b5 (no harp content, unless you consider music related to harp)

Say it out loud: C minor 7, flat 5.

It's customary to put modifiers before the scale degree modified:

Sharp 9, #9

Flat 5, b5

Major 3rd, M3

DIminished 4th, dim4

However, when we refer to specific notes, we put the modifiers sharp, flat, and natural after the note name:

C sharp

E flat

F natural.

The m7b5 chord used to be called "half-diminished", meaning a diminished triad with a minor seventh (as opposed to a true diminished seventh chord, which would have a diminished 7th, one semitone lower than a minor 7th). A minor triad with flat 5 is a diminished triad. So the term m7b5, while it mischaracterizes the triad involved, is a literally accurate description of scale degrees and is therefore not as mysterious as "half diminished."

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa