[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Playing at Jam Sessions

There are a few rules of thumb I try to keep in mind at jams:

1. If the song has a strong hook to it, like "Born in Chicago", play along with the hook at moderate volume all the way through. Turn up on the solo.

2. If it's just a straight 12 bar blues tune, play fills only.

3. Slow blues - Play the head throughout. After the singer starts singing, don't play anything until the first 4 change. From then on, do only fills, then repeat the process. On the last chorus, play at low volume the rest of the way. Personally, I've gotten to where I like to play acoustically into a vocal mic on slow blues tunes.