Re: [Harp-L] Combs!

Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "John F. Potts" <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:33 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Combs!

............................. No, I have no empirical data to support this, but the only tests I have ever heard involved comparing the sound of a single steady note through different comb materials which is not a valid test, because that's not what we do when we actually play/perform and it may well be that the variations in the changing air flow are most dramatically affected by different comb materials, even if a single steady note is note or chord is not/ This may also be why the player responds or reacts differently to harmonicas with different comb materials. Anyway, this makes sense to me.
JP

At the SPAH 97 comparison, the opening measures of "Summertime" were played on the test harps by John Walden. Later, some of the same harps were played by a machine, a single note.

You gave the argument against the machine. Others argue that a human player detects differences and compensates by the way he plays. A machine doesn't do that.

Should not doing it both ways satisfy everyone?

Vern