From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Rusty Wilson
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:52 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Gary Primich tribute number

It has been about a year now since we lost Gary Primich, and I have been
thinking about the man and his music a lot lately.  I was a huge fan -
drove hundreds of miles on several occasions to see Gary play, attended
as many of his gigs as I could, learned most of his solos from his CDs,
etc.   I have been tossing around the idea of adding a Gary Primich
tribute number to my repertoire, one tune that could introduce Gary's
music to audiences when I play out (which admittedly is rare these
days).  The problem I'm having is choosing which tune would achieve this
best.  Gary's music covered a lot of musical ground, so it's hard for me
to narrow it down to even a few quintessential tunes.  I was thinking
something on Gary's jazzier side like "Ain't you trouble" or "School of
hard knocks," but then he had some really nice ones on chromatic like
"the briar patch" or "Mr. Freeze."  Gary also seemed to really be into
the more soul-influenced numbers like "You've got to give a little more"
or "Think it over."  (Of course I would want the tune I choose to be a
Primich original, but I have not looked at which ones he actually wrote
just yet.)  Can somebody help me out here?  Any ideas from other Primich
friends/fans would be appreciated.

-Rusty