[Harp-L] which hole number I'm playing at now?

You can take some high quality children's non-toxic glue and put dots on the harp's cover plate for a reference point.  Please don't use anything that is toxic and sue me.  "Damn Lawyers!"  High quality glue like Resistol or Elmers doesn't shrink as much when it dries.

I put dots one the cover plates over the C, holes 1, 4, 7, and 10.  I always know where I am.  Dot on top, dot to the left, and dot to the right are the three choices.  I've had someone who knows what they are doing tell me that this is an acceptable learning method until I improve.  On a tremolo I use dots below F and B, and above C.

OK don't jump down my throat guys.  I don't have to play this way, but I do.  The idea is to enjoy myself, not entertain my audience.  If I didn't use the dots I could just put a death grip on the harmonica and I would always know where I was at.  The thing about it is that if you use a different grip every time you hold the harp, you lose coordination and you won't know where you are at.  It takes 10 or 15 seconds to contemplate your grip, and your hands get tired if you put a good grip on it.  A good strong grip is much more uniform than a loose relaxed grip that tends to be different every time.  With the dots on the harp, I just pop it into my mouth and start playing with a nice non-uniform relaxed grip.

So there is "my" answer.  Work on your grip, or put dots on the harp.  Put dots on the harp at your own risk and by whatever method you think appropriate.