[Harp-L] classification

I wrote:

"The guitar string works as, well, a string (technically a chordophone, sp), whereas the harmonica reed is an idiophone(sp). In many ways the harmonica reed is more similar to a struck bar such as in a marimba or glockenspiel than a string."

And fjm quite properly corrected me on this. What I meant to write was that "when plucked the harmonica reed is an idiophone". We were talking about the tuning of the reed and so I assumed an obvious context, which was a really bad assumption.

Most of the books I have list lamellophones as a member of the idiophone family. They do posses behaviors different than many other idiophones, but the broad definition would seem to include them, and thus the harmonica reed when plucked. I would think the difference between fixed length lamellophones and adjustable length ones would be more an issue of specific construction rather than one of how the tongue behaves when plucked, thus a question of subcategories rather than a large familial difference. It does lead me to wonder if there are jaw's harps with tines that can be moved in or out to control their pitch. If so, that would seem to me to indicate that how the instrument works (which is the basis for the broader classification) isn't significantly altered based on whether the tine is fixed or adjustable.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'