[Harp-L] polishing reeds and retuning

Thought I would share a trick for lowering the pitch of a reed
without affecting the strength. I hope a few customizers dont take out
a hit on me. Too bad. Throw the file away first of all. Take the thinnest shim stock you can find
or feeler gauge and slide it as far up the reed as you can. Then take a sharp exacto knife
and scrape the shoulder of the reed only. Basically, your going to bevel the edge of the reed.
GO SLOW!! The first time I did this I was blown away at how far the pitch dropped
due to a small scratch. It works great and you can lower the pitch a hell of a lot farther
than you could ever hope to with a file and not weaken the reed.
Randy
http://www.genesisharmonicas.net
P.S. I have been adding extra harps to my current orders in the hopes
of getting caught up. I will post pics tonight of ready to go harps. I have a few low tuned Marine Bands
that just kills me to sell. In total I will have 10 harps ready made.