Re: [Harp-L] The old gear debate

Plus playing amplified is just plain FUN!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Davis" <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:07:09 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: [Harp-L] The old gear debate

It has been brought to my attention that I may have offended some Harp-Lers
in this recent debate. If that is true, I regret it. I very much enjoy
spirited debate.

Let me gently explain my point:

It is one of the oldest standing debates on Harp-L. Many members insist
that a new player should get good acoustic tone before trying amped
playing. My response to that is: Why?

New harp players sound bad. We all did. They sound bad acoustic or amped.
They get better by playing, either acoustic or amped or both. There is no
earthly reason why a new player cannot improve his techniques while
playing with a mic and amplifier. If his goal is to be a good amped player,
that would seem the logical way for him to spend his time.

Should guitar players all learn only on acoustic guitar? Of course not.
Those who want to sound like Hendrix (for example) will gravitate toward
electric amplified guitar. It is no different with blues harp.

I've heard concerns that bad harp playing sounds really bad when amped, so
beginners should stick to quiet acoustic playing. My response is, so what?
You won't have to listen to it. For a student interested in amped playing,
I strongly recommend they buy a 5-watt tube amp right away and get busy with
it. There is not enough volume to get them arrested or damage anyone's
hearing.

Since bad playing sounds so wretched when amped, I find it to be a HUGE
incentive to improve your technique. Bad chops are brutally exposed when
amped.

Another concern I've heard is that new players who amp up will waste a lot
of time and money looking for the right amp. That happens to lots of harp
players, but what I recommend for my students is the Harp Gear HG2 or the
Epiphone Valve Jr. Half Stack. These are not expensive performance amps,
but reasonably priced tools a player can use to hone his mic technique and
amped tone. Every blues player needs a small tube amp - in my humble
opinion. The work a player does with his small tube amp will save him TONS
of time and money later when he shops for a big performance amp. He'll know
what he's doing.

Again, I regret having offended anybody. My apologies.