RE: [Harp-L] John Lee Williamson Last/recordings with Big Joe Williams

Tom Cox wrote:
Hi Have always loved John Lee and recently been going over some of his stuff. I am after some info on the recording he did with Big Joe Williams towards the end of his life. I have a song from The Story of the Blues (P. Oliver) Wild Cow Moan with Ransom Knowling bass, Clifton James Drums. I really would like to get my hands on this recording session. Also any of the
later stuff that John Lee did. Anyone give me some information on this and any releases with the stuff on.

Cheers and thanks
Tom C

Hi Tom,
The session you refer to took place on July 22, 1947 for Columbia Records. Four titles were recorded that day. All four were reissued in 1969 on the LP, "Big Joe Williams and Sonny Boy Williamson" (Blues Classics 21.)

As to CD reissues, check out the 4-CD box set "Sonny Boy Williamson - The Later Years" on JSP -- it's got this stuff plus everything you'd ever want to hear on JLW's later years. 104 tracks. http://www.amazon.com/Later-Years-1939-1947-Sonny-Williamson/dp/B001LPNVOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1238687955&sr=1-1

cheers,
Tom Ball
http://www.tomball.us