[Harp-L] re: gear

Sam wrote: "One more thing: Somebody said (I'm paraphrasing here) that the
audience
can't hear all the subtleties of tone and technique and its lost on them and
only other harp players hear it and bla, bla, bla. That's crap. They hear
it. They may not know what they are hearing specifically, but good tone and
subtle aspects of technique do come across to the audience and inform their
enjoyment of what they hear."

I respectfully disagree. If you have a charismatic singer, and a tight
rhythm section, the harp player's job is to be loud enough to be heard, step
in when you get the nod, and then get out of the way. If you get that
figured out, the audience loves it and they don't care about the fideltiy of
the sound at all.

Best amplified harp tone I ever heard (and yes I have good ears) was James
Cotton and he was just playing through the PA through a Shure SM58.

I'm a big fan of small class A tube amps and it really motivates me to
practice, having a nice amp, but I never had anyone in the audience comment
on my set up, or even notice it.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html
http://www.myspace.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals