Ray.
--
My Music - www.resgraphics.com/music

On Apr 11, 2009, at 8:04 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 18:22:34 -0400
From: "Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Mick's crappy, collectible harp amps
To: "Harp-L" <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>

Also AGREE.

There are a number of 5-watt single ended amps out there that will do it for
the nubee. And for the more seasoned player as well. Fender has a
re-creation of their old Champion. Champion 600 ?? I think. Also Crate has
a 5-watt single ended amp V-5 ?? Epiphone valve junior is also one of
these. All of them with circuit boards made in China, and populated with
low-cost components, but you get what you pay for....... Plenty good enough
for busking or low power jamming and especially just practicing.

For harp, one might want to install a lower gain valve in the pre- amp V1
like a 12AY7 or such - to allow the amp to be turned up more before
feedback, but we have gone over all that stuff many times.

These days, we are blessed with a number of Chinese 5-watters and if you
look around you can get them priced right. Just ask your local guit- store
salesman how low he will go in order for you to walk out of there with that
amp. I always bargain with my local guys. They see me often enough and
they get a steady amount of my $$ even if it isn't that much... They usually
are willing to make a deal to keep getting more of my $$ =8^D I always buy
guitar strings anyway...

But as far as Mick's crappy amps go... I use Ron and Bari at "The Amp
Shop" in West Palm Beach and I haven't had a failure in more than 6 years.
Every now and then I bring them something new to re-cap and "tighten up."
But none of my 1960's amps have ever given me any trouble after I let Ron
and Bari have a look at them. I say never, now with my fingers crossed...
<Har!> After Bari asked me, "Is this a gigging amp?" I said, "Of course."
and now I never have to worry. You get what you pay for!

Splash