Re: [Harp-L] re: beginner amps

I gig with a low-power amp, a 9-10 watt 5F2H amp built up from a Weber kit.
It gets quite loud, adequate for many gig situations.  I sometimes run
it through the PA, but usually not much, just a touch.  It is a Class A amp
with a single 6L6 power tube, so it gets that small amp snarl, yet it has a
12-inch speaker to get the deep growl.  It has great blues crunch.  I've
played it through my 2x10 cab but prefer it by itself.

Rainbow Jimmie is right about getting the amp off the floor.  I use
the common On Stage stand, a small fold-up tilt-back amp stand.  Getting
your amp off the floor increases the apparent volume to you since your amp
is no longer pointed at your ankles.  I always have the amp pointed right at
my head.  Raising the amp off the floor lowers the apparent bass tone,
making your amp sound more mid-rangey.  It's a trade-off.
Many of my harp buddies play the Bassman amp or one of it's clones.  They
sound great, but the trade-off is the size, weight, expense, and tone at
lower volumes.  My 5F2H weighs just 32 pounds and is carried in one hand
with my gear bag in the other.

Still, I strongly recommend that new players buy a small low-power amp to
start with.  As their skill develops and they begin performing they may opt
for a larger performance amp.  They are likely to make a better choice since
they will have a few years experience with tube amps under their belts
already.  They'll be less susceptible to the wild claims made by some
sellers.

Or. the player may choose to do as I have... using a small low-power tube
amp as their performance rig.  If they start out with a quality amp such as
the Harp Gear HG2, they may never need to move up to the big rig.

Happy Easter!

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/