[Harp-L] Seydel Concerto

I am a bit surprised at all the recent praise of the Seydel Concerto.

A few years ago I bought a batch of these (six in standard keys) and while I liked the construction (nice plastic combs, good cover design, overall comfort if a bit larger than an Auto-Valve) the ones I got were not all that well-tuned--quite noticeable in an octave harp. This was particularly true of the top octave in all the harps. Simply put, they will not hold their tuning very well in this range: the reeds drift and will not settle into a pitch for any given length of time. I am suspicious that it might be an issue of reed scaling not being well matched to the specific pitch needed--indeed, these reeds are very narrow in relation to their length and pitch. Perhaps this was just a problem with the batch I got (made before the switch to having the tonic consistently in the first hole), such as a bad bit of reed material, but there it is.

From my experience, I would not recommend these, unless you don't mind retuning your own harps out of the box and never intended to play the top octave.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'