[Harp-L] Harp Consistency

I don't think it remarkable that there is such variation of harmonicas out
of the box. In fact I think it is remarkable how good and in tune most of
them are.
As far as I can gather from the earliest days of Hohner legions of tuners
used to take flour bags full of reedplates home every evening and tune them
in the kitchen on a piecework basis. They possibly still do this in China.
Even in factory conditions where an army of tuners are involved some of them
are bound to be more skilled than others.
When I took the covers of a very respectable and good playing harp lately I
could clearly see some factory tuning 'gouges' that looked as though they
had been administered by the local blacksmith. If near the reed root they
would not have done much for the reed's fatigue life.
I guess the slightly sub-standard harmonica like the "monday morning car" is
a fact of life.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana