[Harp-L] Re: Coltrane / Afro Blue

Happy Birthday, George!

It's a fair question. I too am a fan of songwriting and giving credit where it's due, but in terms of these cover versions, I think the pertinent source material is the version most directly referenced. "Watchtower" is pretty easy to resolve, since even Bob Dylan covers the Jimi Hendrix version, and has done so since the early 70s. If performing it live, I would say that I'm covering the Jimi Hendrix version of a Bob Dylan song. That sounds a bit complicated, but then so is the song's history.

In shorthand, I said that Jason Ricci & New Blood's song "Afro Blue" is a John Coltrane cover. I still have no problem with that statement. The songwriting credit, though historically important, does not provide nearly as much musical information.

HARP CONTENT: Dylan's original version of "All Along the Watchtower" is chock full of fourth-position harmonica playing. (In all seriousness, I hope this discussion isn't too far off-topic.)

Jonathan

-------
George wrote:
"Now to the point or, actually, the question:  If your band was doing
All Along The Watchtower the way Hendrix did it, would you say you were
doing a cover of Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan?  If you were doing With A
Little Help From My Friends like Joe Cocker did it, would you say you
were doing a cover of Joe Cocker or the Beatles?

I'm big on giving songwriters credit, but that's just me.  It bothers
me when people performing This Masquerade say they are doing a George
Benson cover.  George Benson covered the song.  Leon Russell wrote and
recorded it.
---------

Jonathan Metts
Prairie Dog PR