Re: [Harp-L] Some questions for chromatic players..

----- Original Message ----- From: "sam blancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:14 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Some questions for chromatic players..

What is "Bop Tuning"? I know nothing about this at all. Wishful thinking
has me hoping that it's a tuning configuration that eliminates the doubling
of 'C' every 5th hole so that you have two Cs in a row - this annoys me a
lot. Then I wonder if that's such a desirable thing. Does it make playing
written music harder or easier?

The extra C is added so that every 4-hole octave can have the same blow-draw pattern. That definitely makes it easier to read music because C, E, & G are the only blow notes and all the others are draw.

I also have two Hohner 270 Super Chromonicas, one in C and one in G. The G
has a cracked comb and is kind of airy around the crack. Does anybody sell
a plastic or other material comb that I can buy as a replacement?

Chris Reynolds makes $50 plastic 270 replacement combs....in your choice of colors.
http://www.builderofstuff.com/270.html
The reedplates must be modified for screws. If you are not comfortable doing that, I recommend that you send your harp to Chris and let him do the work for an extra $25.

The C Hohner is a standard C and I want to get a Tenor C. Since I seem to
like the 270s and they aren't giving me any trouble (except the cracked comb
on the G) and play louder and brighter than the big Suzuki should I just go
and order another 270 in Tenor and have done with or is there another harp
near in price to the Hohner ($136.00) that one of you players out there has
found to be just so much better?

The Hohner 270 Tenor will have a wooden comb. You might let Chris replace it with plastic in the new harp. Screwed-on reedplates are much easier to work on when you need to access the inside reeds and windsavers. CX12s have plastic combs but are more expensive.

Is there a good Chromatic harmonica method book out there that any of you
have found especially helpful? I have Richard Martin's book and I plan to
make use of it and, if fact already have. And it seems okay except that the
book is actually a collection of reprinted articles from some magazine so
the instruction is a little disjointed. Any suggestions would be really
helpful.

You can already play harmonica. There are instructions for learning to read music in
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/
That site also has everything you ever wanted to know about chromatics!
Sometimes Bonfiglio gives lessons and seminars on what you do with your mouth.

Musically, I can really see how some kinds of jazz and swing would really
sound great on a chromatic but I can also see how some other stuff wouldn't
sound right...............
The point is I don't think everything works.

I suggest that you play on a diatonic whatever you can. There will be a whole universe of jazz, classical, and 20th century pop for which you'll need a chromatic.

I've heard some really fast stuff played on the chro,

If you want fast, hear/see Franz Chmel playing "Variations on Carnival of Venice" on Youtube.

Vern