RE: [Harp-L] H. Levy and Conceptualising notes

hmmm... I think He is trying to put us mortals off the scent. I distinctly recall Howard telling us Brits, at a talk/show in Richmond- upon-Thames about two years ago, that he pretends in his mind he's playing a C. And at the time I think he told us he was picking up an Ab harp, his favourite, for the next number.

Anyway, whatever the key, the principle's the same. And especially if you play chrom as well you're better off thinking in C, I reckon.

Re stairstepping and waterfalling: I took it to mean going up and coming down respectively, possibly in semitones (?). It's a wonderful phrase which i shall certainly add to my vocabulary.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Peloquin <peloquinharp@...> wrote:

> In a message dated 4/16/2009 5:06:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> dixdr@... writes:
>
> Howard  Levy says the same thing - he imagines the notes in his head as
> laid out on a  piano keyboard. To make it a bit more manageable he also
> imagines first that  whatever harp he's playing is a C harp.

Larry responds:
> Is this true? I remember him talking about first learning breakthrough
> concepts on his Ab harmonica and using that as a reference point (mind you,
> this  was 10 years ago at least - at Augusta Heritage).

It is a G harmonica and the piano keyboard that Howard Levy visualizes. This from hearing Him say it more than once.
Michael Peloquin
http://harpsax.com
http://myspace.com/peloquinharpsax