[Harp-L] Re: Conceptualizing notes

As a kid I started playing organ. So, for me the piano keyboard has been my first and major graphical representation. Also when I started playing other instruments like the slide trombone, clarinet and much later the harmonica. While playing harmonica, in my mind I see myself pressing the keys of a piano keyboard.

Later, I started using the tone clock (see my website on http://www.wimdijkgraaf.com ) as an additional representation. The tone clock helps me to find the symmetry and logic in music where the piano doesn't help me because the keyboard has an a-symmetrical layout. I don't see the tone clock while playing. It just helps me when I study music behind the desk.

When I have to learn a tune/harmonic progression, I start learning/ memorizing it on the piano; harmony, melody and improvisational concepts. To check if I've really memorized the melody and improvisational patterns, I sing while playing the piano. Only if I've learned to sing and to play it on the piano, I move to the harmonica just for the additional and important "harmonica specific muscle memory".

Abraços,

Wim Dijkgraaf
jazz harmonica & composition

e-mail:	info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
website:	www.wimdijkgraaf.com
watch:	youtube
listen:	myspace
blog:	blogger

Op 16 apr 2009, om 21:31 heeft harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx het volgende geschreven:

H. Levy and Conceptualizing notes--piano