Re: [Harp-L] Bob Dylan Exclusive Interview: Reveals His Favorite

At 06:51 PM 4/17/2009, you wrote:
The other thing I find interesting about Bob's latest albums is the amazing lack of compression in the recording process. The highs are high and the lows are low. You can hear the sparkle of a cymbal and the complexity of the bass. I read in an interview in Rolling Stone that he did this very purposefully because of his disdain for the recording processes that are aimed at the Ipod / digital download market where everything is so compressed that everything is loud and there is no ambiance.

I have a friend who creates radio formats. Though he has many fine formats to his credit, he was one of the developers of the dreaded Soft Jazz format. I have played on some of the bumper music and ID music he developed for the Soft Jazz format, and it was a real revelation to watch him mix the stuff. He maxed every frequency, took all the shape out of the eq and dang if it didn't sound like Soft Jazz.

Turns out that that's how that stuff is eq'd.

I'm convinced in fact that that overbearing, featureless sound is the main reason I do not like Soft Jazz, although it doesn't help that the word 'Jazz' is part of the name.

For instance, Larry Carlton's records were mostly really yummy until he had to eq for Soft Jazz stations, and I don't enjoy those records.

Obviously, I'm more like Bob Dylan than y'all thought.