Fwd: [Harp-L] Lydian mode harp - why do it, and an actual example

Golly gosh. Many thanks for the explanation Winslow. I shall listen out for it - esp. next time i'm at the cinema.
I understand lydian mode also features a lot in jazz. a quick google search revealed that it's used in Miles' "Blue in Green" - which is the track i think i always fast fwd through on Kind of Blue. shall give it a listen.

any examples of locrian?

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@...> wrote:

Dave Dix and Rick Dempster both as "why?" - as in why anyone would want to play in the Lydian mode on a diatonic harmonica (at least that's what I think they mean).

Why not? You hear it all the time in movie themes. That raised 4th degree is used to write melodies and harmonies that convey feeling such as:

- anticipation, in the "welcome to the movie experience" theme music that happens after all the coming attractions and just before the main feature

- a sense of wonder and magic

- hopefulness

- new birth, budding trees in spring, etc.