Re: Re: [Harp-L] lydian mode

I always think the bridge of My Funny Valentine is a tune where consciously thinking in terms of the lydian mode is useful.

If you are in the written key, you start off in Cm and then it moves to the relative major Eb for the bridge, so in the solo it's nice to contrast the dark moody sound of the minor harmony in the A section and then when you get to the bridge, to utilise the very bright sound that the lydian gives you.

The Bb harp gives you the C dorian and Eb lydian modes as standard, which probably explain explains why this is such a nice tune to play on it. The 6ob gives you the Ab which is also useful as it's good to have the alternative to the #4.

Cheers

Bill