Re: [Harp-L] new recording of "Over the Rainbow"

OK. I listened to that. Now that's what I call  "A bridge too far".
RD

On Apr 22, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe and Cass Leone"
> <leone@xxxxxxxx>

Ya know J. Vernon, I have played that tune years and years ago, and
every now and then someone will request it..OR..a singer will want to
do it. I would have to admit than any harmonica player would easily
be able to pick out the few bent tones (I wouldn't be so arrogant as
to call them notes). The audience, however, doesn't seem to notice,
and if they do, I don't see any change in facial expression(s).

I don't know if the word strained would fit, exactly, maybe a slight
mutation of the exact timbre.

> Stringed-instrument players are taught not to mix stopped and open-
> string notes to maintain smooth continuity.  Does such continuity
> have value on the harmonica?

Hmm, way over my head in philosophical thought. I do know that this
tune is on the latest Charley McCoy CD and it is played the same way
that I do it. Albeit more simply (and tastefully). Frankly, I was
surprised that there were so many tunes that I do on this CD, but
then, at my age, nothing should surprise me.

> When I hear that song, Judy Garland sings along in my head.

Quite. And when I play Cry me a River (2 harps rqd.), I hear Julie
London. On other tunes, I may hear Keeley Smith, Doris Day, or MY
favorite..Peggy Lee.

> A younger person who isn't as rigidly imprinted with the early
> performances might find the diatonic adaptations less annoying.

I understand where you're coming from and agree. I think a chromo
does a smoother job, but sometimes I like the 'crying' possibilities
of the diatonic. Example: My Funny Valentine is easy on a diatonic,
but I would use a chromo.

> There is no accounting for taste!

Right, sometimes timbre enters into the equation, and if a body can't
get the 'tone' close enough, they shouldn't do the tune.

Gieuseppi al Fumare