Mojo not Working (was RE: [Harp-L] Thank you)

Abner,

Finally, a topic on which I feel qualified to voice my opinion...that of losing your mojo (or thinking you lost your mojo) at an open mic night.

It happens...and I firmly believe it happens to everyone.  Everything may seem right in the world before you play, but no matter what you do, it just doesn't work/seem to work.  Those players who appear immune are just so good that it isn't as obvious when they're playing mojo-less.

However, there's another aspect of this that could be in play, that it isn't in your playing but in your own *perception* of your playing.  I've had many nights where I thought I was playing without the mojo, but in listening to the recordings, it was just fine.  Sometimes, it takes another person's feedback (assuming you know they're being honest with you*) to confirm it.  This can also work the other way...that you think you're right on while you're playing only to listen to the recording to realize that it just wasn't that good (or at least wasn't as good as you thought it was at the time).  (As if this needed to get any more confusing and subjective, you then have to consider that your perception of the recording is influenced by those same factors.)

Am I saying that this is too confusing and we should all just give up on trying to figure this out?  Actually, yes...yes I am...and the sooner you reach that conclusion, the more you'll enjoy your musical endeavors (and I suspect the faster you will progress).  For those in the business of selling their music/performances, this may not be the right conclusion...or it may be exactly the right conclusion.  Maybe someone in the field can respond (assuming they can even understand what I'm trying to say).

Jonathan "koan" Compton
(making the question of the sound of one hand clapping seem comparatively simple)

*Assuming your ego/self-confidence can take it (and don't be too quick to think that it can), I believe this is one of the most valuable things you can do for your musical development.  Find someone, or a groups of someones, that will be totally, completely, brutally honest with you.  Ideally, these people would do it with a spirit of helping you to get better, but seriously, if you can handle it emotionally, that isn't even necessary.  You want someone who will call it like they see it regardless of how they think you'll feel about it.  No, this isn't always easy to receive, and it isn't easy to find either.  It took me a couple of years to get a couple of people who do this for me (and I think they still hold back some).