[Harp-L] Mojo

Some thoughts that I have gleaned from buddhist writings and Werner's
Effortless Mastery is to lose the attachment of sounding good.  I have
come to the conclusion that it is my job to make music and let the
audience take from it what they will.

Basically I let my judge be whether or not I am getting enough chances
to play to enjoy myself.  With the exception of a 4 year stretch where
I was really trying to earn a full time living performing and
therefore had to gig 5 to 8 shows a week, I have always been hired an
average of 3 shows a week.  For me, that is enough to enjoy myself.  I
must be playing with enough mojo to get hired.

At a more beginning level, say Abner's, I would go back to the same
open mic and see if they are still willing to let you play.  If so,
you really couldn't have been as bad as you think.

It is good to be self critical, it helps you practice and create a
vision of how you want to sound.  But I rarely ever step off the stage
thinking about how badly I played.  I almost always walk off thinking
about how much fun I had.  I play with many musicians who talk to me
after the same gig and they are depressed and listing their faults.
Seems like a waste of good fun to me.

Now if only I could relax the same way during practice.  I am always
feeling like I cannot play at practice time, that I will never get the
hard thing I am working on.  A couple of years later, I always have
gotten it.  Why can't I have that perspective and have as much fun
practicing as I do gigging?

Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com