Subject [Harp-L] How Do You Clean Your Harmonica?/Jason Ricci's cleaning ritual

Ah, yes..Good find.  The 'Sexy Rocker's OCD Harp Cleaning  Ritual'<G>
Please do understand that Jason was poking fun  at himself when you read that
term.  I understand that despite  our later several discussions as to the
relative merits of the different  strengths of rubbing alcohol, he has since
moved on to using Kaboom instead  (yes, the cleaning product). There were also
later updates since 2005...do a  more recent search in the Archives.......

..and here's yet another link (from the archives) from customizer Joe
Spiers (someone Jason admires) on the same subject:

_http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2005-July/msg00557.html_
(http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2005-July/msg00557.html)

For my part, I now tend to use Clorox' 'Anywhere Hard Surface Sanitizing
Spray' even taking a small travel spray bottle with me (does double duty for
other surfaces too...phones, sinks).  It's safe for food surfaces (cutting
boards and the like) and around pets and children. Works for me. However, I
 don't wish to taste the stuff, so my last step after using it on all of
the  mouthpiece parts of my harmonicas is to rinse once more with the alcohol
and  then a wipe down with a water dampened cloth, before buffing dry.

As to the Pollards' article: some of their products aren't available here
in the
States...so I use MAAS Polish on all my metal and plastic surfaces. I
usually won't use whole-harp soaking methods...nor efferdent tablets which are
listed in some of my books as being strong enough to clean (ahem) toilets. I
 don't believe in soaking metal reedplates in water, because of subsequent
corrosion of brass. I love brass shined and polished, not oxidized and
green from moisture. Personal choice.

One 'can' use a dedicated soft toothbrush (among other products), just be
extra careful not to dislodge or shift a reed, or get a filament caught. All
 harmonica cleaning should be done with time and patience. Jason always
treated  it as a 'Zen' experience..a way to relax.  Taking one's time and not
trying  to rush through it as a chore is the best way to ensure success. I
very much  enjoy using the tiniest amounts of the MAAS polish on the end of a
q-tip type  makeup applicator(no fuzz and pointed on one end)...turning my
reedplates into  what end up looking like polished gold. (the MAAS also
leaves a minute  protective film on the underside of my cover plates, thus
reducing future  potential corrosion).

There are two separate cleaning approaches...depending upon whether the
harp is one's own: (purchased new and never played by anyone else)...or an
older, EBay bought - or acquired somewhere else? harp needing  sanitizing.
Maintenance and preventive cleanliness is important in the
former...sanitizing and bringing the harp up to 'new' clean standards for the  latter. Vastly
different approaches and time frames.  (I've gotten in some  old EBay marine
bands described as in 'excellent' condition, I wouldn't touch  without
gloves because of their awful condition...or work on anywhere except my
workbench)....and even a few which, despite a very thorough cleaning, I still  will
not play (trusting my instincts).

The Pollards' jewelry cleaner idea (the ultrasonic machine) works only for
diatonics and small (10 hole plastic bodied) disassembled chromatics..I'm
mainly  a chromatic player. One has to be extra careful around the windsavers
 (valves)....else they'll all need constant replacement (not the usual
practice  for those unfamiliar with chroms), but I'm always game to try more
modern  sanitizing methods so did indeed purchase one some years ago with the
largest  capacity tank possible for a reasonable fee (otherwise you're
talking about huge  sums of money for a huge tank).  None of them work for an
intact chromatic, as they'll dissolve the glue holding on the windsavers,  and
then I was back to the issue of having to still polish the  reedplates.

Reality:  ALL harmonicas will build up 'crud' around the mouthpiece  which
requires removal and cleaning....with one exception. Only one  harmonica
I've ever played seems to 'somehow' escape this, and I've no  explanation as to
why or how: the black CX-12 line. Perhaps some property  inherent to the
material? I wipe mine down as I do all of my harps but they  never seem to
require it (and they're played every day, for hours);  The  ease of
disassembly....where one can take the one-piece plastic shell to the  sink and clean
under running water from the inside...is, in addition, the best  idea for any
harmonica...EVER, imho.  A quick swish with a soft  toothbrush...quick spray
with the sanitizing spray...some wipe downs, and one is  good to go.

Naturally (being normally a wee bit OCD like Jason), I take mine a few
steps further than the average person because I'm particular with my
harmonicas..but it simply isn't necessary.  The CX-12  slide consists of only one
piece (instead of several with other  chromatics)...so perhaps that makes the
difference too. I've no idea. I'm  not complaining. It's the easiest to play,
maintain, enjoy and the  greatest-sounding harmonica I've ever played. I
couldn't be happier for having  lucked upon this instrument. Now they're like
potato chips...I'm aiming to  get my 5th and 6th (in different
keys)..soon.<G>

If Hohner decides to make them in a 280 (16 hole) size...and in a  couple
of different keys..(besides the standard C...perhaps in a Bb, A, Tenor  C?)
they'd have a sure-fire winner, but I digress.

One doesn't need to buy a 'kit' to clean a harmonica.  There are lots  of
low-cost items one can pick up or find around the house to use.   This isn't
the same as tuning and gapping.. purely for cleaning. A box of  Scott's
'rags' (sold for automotive use) will last you for years and won't put  fuzz or
lint into the harps (cut up old white t-shirts works as well,  too).  A set
of jewelers' tweezers (cheap ones costing around $6.00 for 5  from a crafts
store - Michael's?) will be invaluable for getting into the
innards....they're different shapes and a couple have very long points  which can reach
fuzz or lint caught deep in the mouthpiece.... The  aforementioned MAAS polish
(or an equivalent)(reasonably non-toxic, works on  different metals as well
as plastics)...costing around a few dollars, will  polish and remove old
tarnish...... A full set of clean feeler gauges (I  'borrowed' mine from my
father-in-law who had never used them for  a car but kept them in his workbench
for work on either his  cameras or guns..plastic and wood toothpicks and
orange sticks, a couple of  small screwdrivers and my 'kit' is nearly complete.

Take your time, don't get polish or 'product' where it isn't supposed  to
be...ensure its removal from reed spaces without screwing up the
gapping...reassemble your harps and you'll feel a lot better about playing your  newly
cleaned, fresh and reasonably sanitary instrument. ...then, if you want to
become truly educated about your harps...learn how to tune and gap.
Tons of information out there to show you how it's done........and let's
face it..you're already halfway there.

I honestly don't think anyone should become obsessed about disassembling
and cleaning them constantly if you're not a gigging musician who depends on
his/her instruments to perform perfectly night after night...if you listen
to  the basic 'rules'...keeping a clean mouth before playing (keeping
hydrated  with water prior to and during playing also helps and will not turn you
into a 'wet' player).. above all use the commonsense you were born with.

You know when your harps need cleaning.  The one good thing about  learning
to do this is it will give you absolute confidence in opening up,
disassembling and reassembling your harps.  I would practice on a 'junker'  first,
though. But if all you have is one harp...then go slowly, be careful,  take
your time and enjoy the process.

Elizabeth