Re: [Harp-L] When to Lay Out

Yes "Less is More". The music is the silence between the notes.

Bob "The Captain" Boyd
Texas Tide Band
www.texastide.com
210-494-1118

Hi All,

Our band played a festival last weekend and I got a very nice compliment from another musician at the end of the gig. He said he really enjoyed my playing and that it was rare to find a harp player who knows when to lay out as well as when to play. I've always tried to be judicious in my playing; looking for the right phrase or set of notes to compliment the music, even if it's short or relatively subtle. It was nice to have someone recognize this. I think I have a fear of harmonica overkill. I'd rather leave the audience wishing they could hear MORE harp, rather than filling up every empty space. If I was Jason Ricci it might be another matter, but given my own skills I sometimes take as much pleasure in well-considered fill as I do in a solo (not that I'm averse to those either!). I wonder if this is the case for other players?

Best,
Grant Kester