Re: [Harp-L] CURE for Robert Bonfiglio's "bloody safe" lament

I would definitely second the endorsement although that particular album is not my favourite Paul deLay (mostly due to the arrangements).

And I also agree with Robert's point that there's very little 'pushing the envelope', at least not a lot that's visible.

But that doesn't mean there aren't some people doing it.

Here's who I would recommend you should check out if you're looking for "new":

Steven de Bruyn and the Rhythm Junks doing Supergroover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7MXhKdFvc)
Bill Barrett with Gutpuppet. Listen to that riff! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzO9LCs5WM)
Olivier Goulet with Le Monde de Kota (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgv4rfpuUTg)
Vincent Bucher with Pedro Kayouté (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWk_JDU6uIw)
Antonio Serrano with Paco de Lucia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLi7p_k43Pw)

I could probably list many more. Maybe that would be worth a post on my blog actually. But it's out there if you look for it.

The issue, I'm afraid, is not in the capacity of harmonica players (or any other musicians for that matter) to innovate, it's in the tastes of music listeners...

Benoit

Harmonica - hear the same things over and over?

Here is the cure:

http://www.pauldelay.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=62&step=4

Order this new release - "The Last of the Best - The Paul DeLay Band Live"

It's a culmination of two live shows in 2004 and 2006. In this particular line up of musiians, Luis Pain (Hammond Organ) and Dan Fincher (saxophone) are missing, so most of the material is more solid blues and basic blues grooves rather than the original compositions that transcended this genre.

Too true that we've heard basic blues over and over - nothing new here. What is new is listening to Paul solo on diatonic and chromatic - amazingly original in concept and delivery - over these old forms.

Having been a total fan of Paul since 1995, his playing here is a culmination of all that he has developed over the years harmonically.

Amazing.

The Iceman

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Bonfiglio bon@xxxxxxxxxx

It's time for music to go somewhere else. It's not that the players aren't good at what they do; it's that we've heard it all before. We know where they are going before they get there. Everything is so bloody safe!? ? ?I am not saying I'm any different; classical music is in it's own rut. But with harmonica, I hear the same things over and over, played very well, but is that enough?? ?