Subject: Re: [Harp-L] When to Lay Out

I have to agree with just about everybody's thoughts on this one except for one instance.
  When you're the backup or supporting instrument ( like when someone's soloing ) sure, you can just lay out. I generally lay out when the guitarist is doing his solo. But all my years of playing guitar has also taught me the musicality of providing the right chord, inversion, leading or passing tone to not only help support what the soloist or vocalist is doing, but also what they're trying to get across musically. So can't we do that as harmonica players, even if it's just a note fading in here or there? Like when Victor Wooten will play 3rd, 5th, or whatever on his instrument to " move " the music along?

Brian