Re: [Harp-L] When to Lay Out

when i first moved to nashville, a guitar player gave me the best piece of advice that I have never forgotten.

he said.....

ONLY PLAY WHEN THE SINGER TAKES A BREATH

More or less, this is sage advice. For example, if I am doing a fill between his vocal lines, I will stop playing completely a millisecond before he comes in on his first note. I wait to hear him take a breath, I stop, he sings..........

same with coming in......the second he stops, I start.

especially when sitting in, i play it safe by only doing my fills when he is not singing.

Of course, I might play some soft long notes or simple cool melody riff like a violin during the time he sings, but i make sure the volume is low.

hope this helps,

randy