  From: randy singer
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:31 AM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] When to Lay Out

  when i first moved to nashville, a guitar player gave me the best
  piece of advice that I have never forgotten.

  he said.....

  ONLY PLAY WHEN THE SINGER TAKES A BREATH

  More or less, this is sage advice.  For example, if I am doing a fill
  between his vocal lines, I will stop playing completely a millisecond
  before he comes in on his first note. I wait to hear him take a
  breath, I stop, he sings..........

  same with coming in......the second he stops, I start.

  especially when sitting in, i play it safe by only doing my fills when
  he is not singing.

  Of course, I might play some soft long notes or simple cool melody
  riff like a violin during the time he sings, but i make sure the
  volume is low.

  hope this helps,

  randy