RE: [Harp-L] When to Lay Out

I'm playing in a trio. Acoustic guitar and electric bass, both thru the PA. I am currently using a Harmonica Honker that plugs directly into the PA. We have practiced a lot to let me find a way to incorporate harp into the music. I don't play a lot of solos,but neither do I play over top of the singer. I do sometimes play while he's singing, but in the background and between lines of the song. We are mostly country/country rock oriented but also play quite a few originals.
I sometimes just do some rhythm chugging or just a few notes. For example, on the Carrie Underwood song "Before He Cheats" the chord progression is Eminor, D, C B.  I use a C harp and just play those single notes when appropriate.
I guess we all just have to figure out what works for us. I firmly believe, though, that less is more in most cases.
Steve Webb in Minnesota

\