Re: [Harp-L] re: when to lay out

Think Big Walter on, " Walking by Myself" . Somehow he plays continuously throughout the song without getting in the way. Like someone mentioned rhythm harp is an art unto itself. One thing is to think accompainment as opposed to playing licks and fills. Listen to horn players and keyboard players and how they play to the beat of the music instead of waiting for an opening. The challenge is you have to be consistent through all the changes. Listen to Big Joe Turner's album, " Boss of the Blues". Notice how the horns will play a fill then hold the final note at a descending volume behind the vocals. And of course the dynamic of letting the song swell behind the singer.
----- Original Message ----- From: <jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:05 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: when to lay out

I keep my eye on the singer. When I get the nod, I play a verse and a
chorus, then I'm done for the song. We have a few blues tunes where I'm all
over the place, but in general I like to leave the audience wanting more.
--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html