[Harp-L] summit was just that

west Coast Harmonica summit;

I attended the West Coast harmonica Summit last night in Santa Cruz.

First of all the venue was so unique (and hard to find) that I cannot describe it.
Let us just say that I feel very fortunate that I decided at the last minute to just drive down the coast.
This was an event for the players. I think they enjoyed themselves more than the audience.
I had a blast but these guys would have gone all night ...in fact, they did.

I have been following Michael Peloquin for many years and know of his growth and commitment
but Winslow completely blew my mind.
Having met Winslow years ago at Harmonica events I thought I knew what he did.
His handling of the spanish style was outstanding and he got beyond the technical.
He was, for the moment, a gypsy troubadour.

So often, the Chromatic becomes a dry technical exhibition...(it is hard to play)
But Winslow...you really touched the audience with that performance.
The fiddle/violin was beautiful.

Jon Erickson reminded me that he is still performing at Nicks in Pacifica on Sundays.
Always the coolest cat and fun for my wife and I to dance to after a good dinner with an ocean view.
Charlie Parker on a chromatic? why not. Nice guy. Could you just see if Jeff Buenz will sit in sometimes on guitar.
you guys used to rock. The Stratoloungers.

All players were outstanding...and the Back up band was top notch.

The highlight for me ( and I am glad I stayed all night) was the San Francisco Harmonica Ensemble...( name could be more exciting)
Having had a Bass Harmonica for a time...(stolen from my car), I know this thing is impossible to play in a fluid manner.
Not so...this Steve Malerbi can make it swing...could he have played slap bass..(he could with the right pedal).
The arrangements were so sophisticated I was blown away.

Here is where you really see how talented Michael Peloquin is in so many areas...mostly you can see how he admires his band members, all fantastic.
It was like watching the allstar team. He had a hand in the arranging, no doubt ,but is really able to put some soul into that Chromatic too.

I rarely play the Chromatic..(only when I am by myself) but feel empowered to take it up again with a new professionalism.
Wish the evening would have included some discussion about what harps were being played by each guy.
I know...if you want that kinda thing you gotta go to SPAH...Hope you guys give them this show and more.....
For instance..was that a CBH plastic model Hohner..that Steve played? sounded cool.
I guess I will have to play hooky from work to see any of these harps on display this week...
Have fun everyone if I don't make it...I will be happy I made the summit.

Grant Walters