[Harp-L] re:Re: Importance of Close Reed Tolerances (was Manji welded reeds?)

Tim Moyer wrote:
>...While I agree with nearly everything Mojo posted, the comment about "close tolerances" allowing for a "louder" harp I think needs to be clarified. It >depends on which tolerances you are referring to. I remember reading a post once from Robert Bonfigio in which he commented that he increased the >gaps on reeds to make the instrument louder, and in fact it makes sense (to me, anyway) that wider gaps cause the reed to swing wider, with greater >amplitude, which makes it louder. Additionally, as the honorable Dr. Antaki commented, closer gaps can cause a reed to choke under heavy attack, >which can make it more difficult to play "louder"...

I was thinking that "close tolerances" might be a factory approach that gets similar results to the embossing that customizers perform. Regardless of the gap, having a reed shut off the air flow completely (or "more completely" than the average stamped plate/riiveted reed combination) might result in more volume. I don't have any data to support this, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has any data or further thoughts.

Joe