[Harp-L] was Renny, now Chmel

Hey Jonathan, *

Am Sonntag, 9. August 2009 schrieb Jonathan Ross:

> This is the first I've heard of Franz Chmel getting into the
> harmonica business.  I know he's worked closely with the people at
> Harp Online, but checking the harp-l archives no-one has posted on
> this before.

Sorry for delay, i didn´t read your question  earlier...

The first time i read about this new harmonica was in Didi Neumann's
Harmonica-Player-News No. 54 (it´s in german, so it´s probably not
interesting for the vast majority of u if you wonder why you never
heard of it) in spring 2007:

---snip---
FRANZ CHMEL (Austria) und Lutz Nölle aus Deutschland haben eine
neue Chromatic entwickelt, deren Testphase nach ihren Angaben
hervorragend verläuft, aber noch sehr viel Zeit in Anspruch
nehmen wird. Auch die Ventile sind bei ihrer Konstruktion
anders geartet.
Herausbringen werden die beiden das Instrument selbst.
---snip---

This means like Franz Chmel and Lutz Nölle built a new chrom and the
first tests are very promising, but testing is still in progress.
...new valve design...  ...they´re going to produce this new
instrument themselves...

Franz , being asked about it on the "harpchat" mailinglist responded
that he had already tested  the new chrom more then 200 hours and also
played a few live gigs with it, he couldn't go in detail though.

In April this year he answered again on the harpchat mailing list when
asked about this new instrument:

---snip---
Zu Deiner Frage bezüglich Haltbarkeit:
Ich spiele nur Chrom...sehr laut..mit viel Vibrato.
Bei meinen Hohner Super 64, die ich fast 20 Jahre spielte, brach
bereits nach ca. 25 Übungsstunden die erste Zunge.
Danach waren es 4-6 Zungen wöchentlich.
Ich führe Buch über Zungenbrüche:-)))
Nun haben wir Stahlzungen...das Ergebnis:
Ich spiele damit bereits über 1 000 Stunden!!!!!!!!!!!!! OHNE einen
Zungenbruch und OHNE nachstimmen.
Aber nocheinmal: ich spiele Chrom!!
Soviel dazu..mehr in einigen Monaten auf meiner neuen Website:-))
---snip---

translation:
"About your answer regarding durability:
I play only chrom...very loud...with a lot of vibrato
At my Hohner Super 64s, that i played for over 20 years, the first
reed failed after aprox. 25 hours of playing. After that 4-6 reeds a
week broke. I'm keeping record of broken reeds :))
Now we have steel reeds...the result:
I'm playing already over 1000 hours!!!!!!!!!!! WITHOUT a single broken
reed and WITHOUT retuning. But again: i'm playing Chrom!!
That for now... more in a few month on my new website:))"

So that new harmonica will have steel reeds and innovative valves.
On a third occasion i remember him writing about this harmonica
something like "It will all be new" meaning full of innovations.

A rumor i heard ist that the reed plates do not have just one
continous thickness, but that they´re thicker on the low notes and
thinner on the higher ones, but i don´t know where i heard that
anymore.

Well, i HTH
Nothing more to do but waiting a few month for the new website ;)

--
Gruß,Frank